Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I used to take this well known saying seriously, if I eat well and stay active then why would i get sick? But then again I don't think most grade twos are worried about their health. I was just the average grade two student in 2004. I would play with the other kids, eat with the other kids, and everything was just great. All that was about to change though. March would be my last full month of being a kid and not having any worries. In mid-April I was going to get a disease that would change my life forever.



I remember March- break of that year clearly. It was the first time I was ever on a cruise, and it was awesome. Well, if you ignore the fact that I was constantly drinking and constantly needing to use the bathroom. No matter how much I drank I was always thirsty, and no matter what, I couldn't control when I went to the bathroom. My Mom, with her mother instincts, knew something wasn't right. When we got back from our cruise, she took me to the blood clinic to get a blood sample. The results were to come back several days later while my mom and I were at Wal-Mart buying Lizzie McGuire flip-flops. I had a feeling in my gut that the phone call wasn't going to be good. They called my mom's cell and said that I needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible because I had diabetes.



It's six years later and that one phone call has left me with diabetes and it hasn't changed. It never will change though. I thought that I would just get better or grow out of this disease, but the doctors said no. It will always be a part of me because my body thought there was something wrong with my pancreas (an organ in your body that helps with the absorption of energy from your food) so it killed it. Because of my body's stupidity, I will be constantly be stuck in the routine of testing my blood sugar levels about six times a day, and giving myself needles at least five times a day, sometimes more, or using the insulin pump 24/7. My mom always says that things happen for a reason, and you can't change them. I think this is a good thing to go by, so I try to just take things as they come, and be happy with what I have been given because it could always be a lot worse.

Life Lesson: Things always happen for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your mom completely - everything does happen for a reason. Funny, my mom always says that too....must be a mom thing!
    Sometimes it's hard to see the reasons right away, or it takes years for them to surface. Have you come across any reasons yet?

    ReplyDelete